On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
> I still don't like the tilt.

Well, Ken, I appreciate your saying so. I'd much rather hear someone's
honest opinion that a meaningless platitude like "nice capture".

I can relate, as I'm normally very sensitive to things being not level
myself. It is just that in this case it was a very conscious choice. I
did not see it afterwards and just decide to go with it. This image
was taken almost like (I imagine) a photojournalist in war works. You
see something, you get out and grab it with little time to lose, using
your instincts to compose and frame the shot. I even ran farther down
the road, away from my car when I realized that I needed to make the
tree appear a bit larger in the composition and get it before the
magical light left the scene. (Working with a 10-20mm can be a
challenge). I also wanted the telephone pole to appear vertical, since
one would expect them to be. If I made the horizon straight the
telephone poles would be at an angle.

But I especially remember making a conscious choice of angle and
composition so that those weeds would go to the bottom right corner. I
learned how important that could be on the similarly composed: "A Road
Less Traveled"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/4722534814/
I must admit that I did not consciously do it with that exposure, but
I noted how important that line of road weeds to the bottom right
corner was in that composition. And I applied that lesson in the
framing of this shot.

Given more time, perhaps there was a way to do it all... get the
horizon perfectly level AND get the weeds going to the corner, but I'm
not sure I would have liked the result better than the image I got. At
the end of the day, the main person I want to impress with my images
is myself - partly because I'm not easily impressed and partly because
I'm as hard on my own work as anybody can be (I think). But I also
know when I've got a decently strong image, and it seems that when I
do find one - I'm not alone in that opinion, at least most of the
time.