I tried out an earlier version and wasn't impressed with it. I found Nik
filters much more useful.

On 5/14/2014 5:23 PM, P.J. Alling wrote:
On 5/13/2014 7:39 PM, steve harley wrote:
on 2014-05-13 14:24 Stanley Halpin wrote
I haven’t used it enough to make a strong endorsement, and I
haven’t used Photoshop ever so I can’t do a comparison. But I can
say that the integration with LR5 is smooth and painless. Much
much easier to go to and from Perfect Photo than PSE12. (Fairly
new iMac, 16gb memory, LR5.) If I were a Photoshop user who was
unhappy that the only Photoshop upgrade path is via subscription,
I would be all over this product as a possible alternative. For
the price, it is worth a serious look.

perhaps it's different for Lightroom, or for the full version, but
i tried out the freebie  with Aperture and found it somewhat
awkward; to process an image with the "plugin" really just sends it
to the external application; it's nice that when done it adds the
resulting file (a 386 MB PSD, after adding one effect to a 25 MB
DNG!) back to the Aperture catalog, but it then quits Perfect
Effects, which means every round trip has to relaunch the app

other than that, controls are a little wonky, and many names of
effects are a real turn-off (e.g. "amazing detail finder"); a lot
of the effects i would probably never use (e.g. cross processing)
and it was fairly slow on my quad i7 with 16GB RAM, but some of the
utility effects are pretty good for quick fixes

I've been looking at the manual and I'm not sure that it really does
 anything that a deft hand with various filters can't already do in
Photoshop in combination with DXO Filmpack.  However I can't run it
at the moment so I can't really make any comparisons.

--
Science - Questions that may not be answered yet.
Religion - Answers that may not be questioned ever.