On 9/2/2014 4:05 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
I'm just winding down my UK trip hiking through Yorkshire. I took my
light travel kit: K5, DA 12-24, DA* 16-50 and DA-L 55-300, plus a
Manfrotto Mountaineer carbon fibre tripod and a Sigma +1.6 diopter
achromatic close-up attachment for "macro" work. No backup body. All
this kit has proven so dead reliable through years of atrocious outdoor
conditions that I felt confident without bringing more (actually, the
DA-L 55-300 is relatively new but I thought I'd risk it).

Last year in Italy I brought a similar kit but with a backup body.

When I went to Scotland a decade ago, I took a *ist-D, Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 and Tokina 80-200 f/2.8. I found that 28mm didn't offer enough at the wide end with a crop sensor, so I bought the Pentax FAJ 18-35 while I was there. I carried a Bogen 3021 w/Bogen 488rc2 ball head.

When I went to China in 2010, I had the LX with 2 rolls of Kodachrome, 4 rolls of Fujichrome 400 and the SMCP-A 24mm f/2.8. I carried the K20D with the DA 18-55 kit lens, K10D for backup, Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 and Tokina 80-200 f/2.8. The only lens that wouldn't work with the LX was the DA 18-55. I carried along a Gitzo tripod whose model nomenclature escapes me and that same Bogen 488rc2 ball head. The tripod is NOT carbon fiber, it's heavy aluminum someone traded in on a carbon fiber tripod & I got it second hand for $90.

That's about as "light" as I get.

In the last year I've acquired a bunch of lenses, so my light kit is going to change, but I haven't worked it out yet.

The one certainty is that I'm going to end up somewhere and the one lens I really NEED at that moment is going to be one I decided not to take along because I was trying to "travel light".