Mark C wrote:

>I sparred with Shel a few times but never felt offended - he was a
>memorable character.

I'd say "buying" an FA 77 Limited from Bill Robb and not paying for it
goes a bit beyond "memorable".

>There were others, much much worse, whoo shall not be named...

Oh come on, let's name them!

I think I joined the PDML just after the character who called himself
"The Who" left. I got to see a little of the wreckage he left in his
wake.

Suda Mafud/Kirkland Ramsey/M.T. Green was one of the least offensive
(and longest lasting) oddballs we had. Most amusing when he posted as
one identity when accidentally using the email address of another
(Doug Brewer tells me he signed onto the list under several more
aliases, albeit briefly). He was one of the characters suited to a
text-only medium because he didn't want anyone to see what his
photography looked like. He hated digital on principle (though what
principle was never clear) and kind of faded away when the web and
digital got so widespread and inexpensive that he couldn't think up
any plausible excuses for not showing his photography to anyone.

I think it was "Brad Bobo" (am I getting that name right?) who set a
kind of benchmark for offensiveness. One year at Grandfather Mountain
we got a (very welcome) surprise visit from one-time PDML regular Norm
Baugher. When Tom Van Veen (another PDML stalwart who's no longer on
the list) approached him Norm stuck out his hand and introduced
himself as Brad Dobo, causing Tom to literally step back and prepare
for a possible fist fight. Really. Then Norm revealed his true
identity and collapsed in a fit of laughter. (Later, some time around
1:00 in the morning, we phoned up Cotty to say hello... and "ni!")

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com