But for me, there is one big factor of having a printer at home: convenience. I know that I can quickly put together and print a birthday card for a friend in the morning, before going to a party.

I agree, but it took Bay Photo only 4 days to deliver my prints to my door from the time I placed the order!

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor PDML-StR" <pdml...@komkon.org>
Subject: Re: OT - To print or buy ?

Ken, thanks for the pointer. I don't remember hearing about Bayphoto.

For the small sizes, 4x6, and probably 5x7, ordering it from almost any [reasonable] print shop is cheaper. For the larger sizes, depending on the prices and amounts, it can go either way.

But for me, there is one big factor of having a printer at home: convenience. I know that I can quickly put together and print a birthday card for a friend in the morning, before going to a party. I haven't checked recently, probably it is no longer the case, but it used to be that not all print shops would have some specialty paper (or it would be unreasonably expensive), - e.g. metallic or canvas.

But even having a printer at home (Epson R2880), I place some orders to a print shop. E.g. recently, I had a bunch of invitation cards printed at Walmart's 1-hour shop. Yet another convenience of using Walmart's 1-hour shop is that I can submit it to be printed at the Walmart near my relatives across the country, and they can pick up those photos there.
At some point, I ordered photos @Mpix.om to be shipped to other people.

I'd share a small hint for those who have printers:
I discovered a source of _very_ cheap paper that one can use as a sort of "scratch" photo paper: Dollar Tree (in the US) sells some generic gloss paper: 20-pack of 4"x6" for $1 or 8-pack of Letter size (8.5"x11") for the same $1. It's lightweight, only 9 mil., but it is suitable for some non-demanding testing. The curious fact is that the batches I've seen in the past half a year are branded by Polaroid.

Igor