On Dec 6, 2016, at 5:18 AM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You might want to be careful with that.
>
> The major cause of the lack of tranquility around here is a kitchen I'm
> having to completely remove down to the wall studs & replacing
> sub-flooring. Someone made repairs years before I bought the house.
>
> The repairs didn't hold up because someone "cut a few corners". But,
> because it *was* all "hidden behind cabinetry", the structure continued
> to deteriorate unseen ... until it could no longer be hidden.
>
> Don't cheat yourself.

It's a bit late now ;)

The structure in our place is fine despite all that nature has thrown at it
lately.  The only problems I've found from previous owners have been
wiring-related.  We do have to be careful with asbestos as it's turned up in
all sorts of tricky places (the house was built in the mid-1960s).

The corners I cut were only in the decorating.  I really wanted to replace the
plasterboard and throw some insulation in the wall but just didn't have the
time.  I had to retain the existing stuff and do the lipstick-on-a-pig thing.
I ended up doing a skim coat of the visible parts, which will probably be
hidden behind a glass splashback later.

I'll be getting a painter-decorator in to finish everything off as the other
walls need some work and the ceiling will need repainting after I've done the
lighting.  For now I'm absolutely exhausted after a week of physical labour and
less-than-ideal sleep.  All going well we'll have a fully functional kitchen
again tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dave