On 12/5/2016 11:50 PM, David Mann wrote:
On Dec 6, 2016, at 5:18 AM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:

You might want to be careful with that.

The major cause of the lack of tranquility around here is a kitchen I'm
having to completely remove down to the wall studs & replacing
sub-flooring. Someone made repairs years before I bought the house.

The repairs didn't hold up because someone "cut a few corners". But,
because it *was* all "hidden behind cabinetry", the structure continued
to deteriorate unseen ... until it could no longer be hidden.

Don't cheat yourself.

It's a bit late now ;)

The structure in our place is fine despite all that nature has thrown
at it lately.  The only problems I've found from previous owners have
been wiring-related.  We do have to be careful with asbestos as it's
turned up in all sorts of tricky places (the house was built in the
mid-1960s).

The corners I cut were only in the decorating.  I really wanted to
replace the plasterboard and throw some insulation in the wall but
just didn't have the time.  I had to retain the existing stuff and do
the lipstick-on-a-pig thing.  I ended up doing a skim coat of the
visible parts, which will probably be hidden behind a glass
splashback later.

I'll be getting a painter-decorator in to finish everything off as
the other walls need some work and the ceiling will need repainting
after I've done the lighting.  For now I'm absolutely exhausted after
a week of physical labour and less-than-ideal sleep.  All going well
we'll have a fully functional kitchen again tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dave

I expect I may have a usable kitchen by the end of the year. Won't be
finished or "fully functional", but it will suffice.

I've removed the plaster from two walls & ripped up half the floor;
replaced the corroded drain pipes & damaged sub-floor. I'm adding
insulation in the walls & by next week I'll have enough sheet-rock hung
& enough of the new tile floor installed to go ahead & install the base
cabinets & counter top.

Haven't run into any asbestos yet. Knock wood!

I'm having to do the job in sections & work around everything else on my
schedule. Because the kitchen is 'L' shaped, I still have 4 walls to do
& about 2/3 of the floor to replace plus wall cabinets, painting, etc,
but none of that will keep me from being able to use the kitchen.

Right now, I'm reduced to what I can do with a microwave oven & whatever
small appliances I can temporarily place on top of it and having to wash
dishes in the bathroom sink.