"Question: How is the K-1 autofocus, as compared to say, a K-5?"

Thanks to Hoya, the K-5 had quite poor autofocus, especially in low light. On
the other hand, the K-5II and IIs (I have both) have excellent AF.

I have used my K-1 only a little so far, but my impression is that it hunts
more than my K-5II and IIs cameras, and has more trouble finding focus in low
light. That is not to say that the K-1 AF is bad, just that it seems a step
backward from the excellent AF of the K-5II series cameras. I never used a K-3.

If you are using a K-5, you will be pleased with the K-1 AF.

On all my cameras, I use only central point autofocus.

Joe