From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of P. J. Alling
Sent: Saturday, 8 April 2017 3:24 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Digital Slide scanners

A long time ago, it seems, I bought an ACER ScanWit 2720s.  It's a SCSI
interface device, and while
it's supplied software is hopelessly dated, there is third party software,
(ViewScan), that will
actually give better scans, taking full advantage of the hardware, which the
original software never
did.  It got very good reviews for it's output, and specifications equaled or
bettered much more
expensive units, (when I bought it they were available new for approximately
$300).  It produced a
9mp scans which I saved as TIFF files and corrected in Photoshop.

There are four notable drawbacks to it.

       It's limited to 35mm filmstrips or slides of 24x36mm mounted in standard
mounts, you can scan
smaller but not larger so superslides are out thought I think 126 slides will
work though the
software didn't support it, (110 format slides scanned well, but at a greatly
reduced resolution of
course, I wish I had a few samples but all those scans disappeared in a hard
drive crash).

      The slide and film carriers are made entirely out of plastic, and since
the original
manufacturer sold out to BANQ the scanner, and it's bigger brother, 2047s which
included digital
ICE, are long discontinued so parts including new carriers are made of
unobtainable.

      Scanning speeds are sssslllloooooowwwww, so bulk scanning is problematic,
though how much of
that was due to the limitations of PC hardware at the time is a question, (I
doubt that the scanner
has a particularly large or even any actual buffer built in.

      Finally reading the specifications, I'm not at all sure that it would
actually outperform a
current Epson Perfection V550 or V600 which
will scan up to 6x9cm slides and negatives.   So the effort to getting
either ScanWit up and running on modern hardware on a modern OS may not be
worth the effort,
especially as you'd actually have to find one, but if you're interested Amazon
has on in their
warehouse used for only $127.00