My grandfather, who came from Gloucester, used to pronounce Cirencester
"Sissista", insisting it was the correct local pronunciation.

John in Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Bob W-PDML
Sent: Tuesday, 25 April 2017 5:58 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: PESO - Stone Wall, Leafield 2017

> On 24 Apr 2017, at 20:20, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>
> On 24/4/17, John Sessoms, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> How is the 'i' in Cirecester pronounced? Rhymes with "eye" or "seen"?
>
> eye

These things are quite straightforward really. The simple rule is, however it's
spelt, that's not how you say it. If you say it the way it's spelt everyone
will know you're a tourist, and charge you £300 for an ice-cream.

Cirencester= Siren sessta
Gloucester = Glossta
Bicester = Bissta

Leominster = Lemsta
Southwark = Suthuk

Greenwich = Grinnidge

The only exception to the rule, and only in the context of this one place, is
Leicester Square, which is invariably pronounced Lie Sessta Squaw, with the
emphasis on Sessta. Nobody can really explain this, but it may be that on this
one occasion the locals just gave up trying to teach the correct pronunciation
to foreigners, and instead put ice-cream prices up to £350, plus 10% if want a
flake and crushed nuts.