Haven't needed to use my current laptop since last October. I got it out
to make sure I had all the Windoze 7 security updates installed before I
head off to Grandfather Mountain next weekend.

Things ain't looking so good. I got a BSD 01a the first time I tried to
run the update. Second time ended with an Update Failure w/unidentified
error.

Third time I've got it checking for updates to see if maybe there are
some I need to install first ...

It's been running the "Checking for Updates" for about 2 hours now.

The laptop is about 10 years old IIRC. Toshiba A205. I still like it a
lot, it has 2 Hard-drives - 500GB & 1TB - and a DVDRW Optical drive.
Don't think I'm going to find that in a new laptop. AND because it's a
WINDOZE computer (Win 7 Pro 64bit) it will run PhotoshopCS5 - maybe not
great with just 4GB RAM & only 3.5GB of that usable, but it does run.

Trying to "upgrade" to Windoze 10 was such a disaster I refuse to have
it on any computer I own, and the price for a MacBook Pro is so
outrageously expensive to get the one I'd want is just too much pain.

So I'm thinking about a Linux laptop. Which means either GIMP for image
editing or trying to run PhotoShop on WINE.

I know there are some Linux users here, maybe even a Guru or two.

Anyone using GIMP recently? Or running PhotoShop using WINE?

Or is there another way?

Help!