Its true that my most used lenses are the 24-70 and the 70-200 modern
DFA versions.  I haven't acquired the 150-450, but I wonder how it
would compare to modern versions of a 600.  The old film era 600/4
seemed to have a little softness from reports I heard.  I know that
Nikon's and Canon's versions are supposed to be very sharp.  We have a
lot of nesting eagles around our area during certain times of the
year, but you cannot get close enough due to property restrictions, so
a really long lens is the only option.  I tried to take some milky way
pics with the 24-70 during my trip to New Zealand and while they came
out pretty good, I was left desiring something wider to cover the
amazing vista along with the sky.

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@mac.com> wrote:
> For me, the lack of primes isn’t an issue, although I would like to have some
> and believe they are coming. For 25 years I shot only primes, but today’s
> Pentax zooms are very good and are the equal of most primes. I’ll put the
> image quality of my D FA 150-450 up against the FA 600/4 any day. And the
> 15-30 meets my wide angle needs handily. I have several good 50mm primes, but
> still turn to the D FA 24-70 most often.
> Paul
>
>> On May 18, 2018, at 11:00 AM, Gonz <rgonzoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> True that.  Pentax definitely is lower cost at or close to equal
>> quality or performance (except for AF, where it still is behind).  And
>> that is the major reason I started with Pentax back in 1979, they were
>> clearly more affordable and had a great reputation.  I think where
>> Pentax is lacking is in a system.  They last had a complete system
>> back in the LX days.  Unless you plan on using only zooms, their prime
>> offerings are mostly still from the film era like the Limited series,
>> or the DA lenses that can sometimes be used in FF.   But say I want a
>> very wide prime?  The only options are used older film era lenses
>> (15mm 3.5).  I would have to settle for a zoom to get a new wide
>> angle. I can't even get third party prime lenses for Pentax, like some
>> of the more lust worthy Sigma Art Series, its not worth the expense of
>> manufacturing to them. Its also true of the long lenses.  If I want a
>> 600mm f4.0, or even a 400mm 2.8, I have to get a used film era lens
>> (good luck with that), or I could settle for the DA560mm f5.6 (I hear
>> its useable FF).  A Nikon, or Canon user doesn't have this problem.
>> Yes you will pay more, but at least you have the option, with Pentax
>> you have to jump in eyes wide open.
>>
>> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:37 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@mac.com> wrote:
>>> I see some younger photographers who are making their initial purchase of
>>> pro-level gear going to Pentax. While I agree that Pentax will likely focus
>>> on pro and advanced amateur offerings, I think they can own the lower
>>> priced end of that niche. Pentax is a bargain. The K-1 isn’t quite the
>>> equal of Nikon’s best, but It is almost as capable and far less expenses.
>>> With in-camera shake reduction that price advantage extends to lenses as
>>> well. The Pentax D FA 70-200/2.8 sells for about $1000 less than Nikon’s
>>> 70-200/2.8, and I would be willing to bet the image quality is just as good.