Am 03.11.18 um 01:46 schrieb Rick Womer:
Since then the MBP has been my work computer, getting heavy use every day.
Almost every evening I carried it home, worked on it, carried it back, put it
in its docking station, and worked on it more. I upgraded the RAM, replaced the
spinny drive with an SSD, and replaced the battery a few times. It was utterly
faithful for 9 years and 10 months (almost 9 years past the end of its 1-year
warranty).

In 2010, someone dropped a friend's early 2008 MBP and caused a dent in the rear left corner. Fortunately, the guy was insured and the insurance asked for the computer to be sent to their expert for evaluation. The expert dropped it yet again, this time on the rear right corner. So, without any further hassle the insurance paid my friend a new MBP and that was that for him.

Unimpressed by all this, the dented MBP was still working. Being a really nice guy, my friend gave it to me. Two years later, it wouldn't boot anymore. Not being one to give up easily, I found out that this was a known prob with some NVidia graphics chip failing. It took a little prodding but Apple eventually replaced the mainboard at their - or rather NVidia's - expense.

This MBP has been my faithful companion until a few weeks ago when I finally decided I'd want a little more computing power. It still works flawlessly but has been getting a bit slow with the large files from the K-3 and a bunch of newer software didn't run under El Capitan, the latest system it would accept.

So, I got myself a mid 2012 MBP, second-hand from a dealer with one year's warranty, in almost mint condition. Gee, this things runs circles around my old MBP and surprisingly around my home system, a 2012 Mac Mini. Seems to be the GPU in the Macbook that makes the difference.

Let's hope it will also live to the grand old age (over ten years and counting) of its predecessor which is still doing fine and has found a new lease of life as a test and measurement system for my vintage hifi gear.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog  : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com