Jostein, the way Larry has set things up does not seem to be bothering the
birds or interfering with their natural behavior.
As he points out, they keep returning to that spot year after year.

I had some sparrows build a nest under one of the eaves of our house, on
top of a floodlight.  Unfortunately, the position made it impossible to
look into the nest, or even attempt a photograph, without getting up on a
ladder right next to it, which I would never consider doing.

BTW, at almost all of the eagle cams, the naturalists go in to tag the
nestlings, before they are able to fly away.  It is interesting to learn
that some of our local chick from here in New Jersey found their way up to
New England.  Raptor protection groups claim to gather important
information about the birds from studying both the nests and the later
travels of the birds.

My reference to whales goes back to when I visited you in Oslo, many years
ago.  Among many other things, we discussed the Nordic and America views on
Wale conservation.  You pointed out the importance of the wales in the
Scandinavia cultures, and I remarked that even in the US we recognize the
native cultural needs of the Northwest Alaskan peoples, who are for the
most part exempt from the bans on hunting and eating wales.

On our first trip to Hawai'i, back in the 1980s, my son was
enthusiastically looking forward to riding jet skis in the pacific.  Short
visits to the Sierra Club and the Pacific Wale Foundation put a quick end
to that, and converted him to an avid conservationist.  Maui has a lot of
coast watchers, who sit on the lanais (balconies) of their condos peering
through binoculars hour after hour, and reporting any boats who approach
the wales too closely.  The wales their are most sensitive, as there are
many newborn calves.  There is nothing near Maui for the wales to eat, so
they fast from the time they leave the Alaskan waters, 3,000 miles away,
until they return months later.  Like many mainland tourists, all they do
during their Hawai'ian vacation is breed, give birth, and teach the young
to swim.

Yes, the "Russian spy" beluga received extensive coverage in the US.
Belugas are among the most frequently mistreated of marine animals, because
their size, intelligence and friendliness makes them easy to exploit.  The
recent NatGeo article on animal tourism covers that (and other travesties).

Sea World and similar operations are quite controversial today.  Under
great public pressure, Sea World ended its Orca breeding program, and has
promised to phase out the "Shamu" type circuses.  We will see.

Dan Matyola