Populism is not a political philosophy, but rather a political strategy.  A
populist is "a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to
ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established
elite groups."

In this respect, Trump is a populist in so far as he appears to
working-class Americans who feel they are taken advantage of by the
political, financial and social elite.  Johnson is a populist in so far as
he promises to prevent the poloitical elite from evading the result of the
Brexit referendum and blastic the European power brokers who are portrayed
as dictating to Britain policies that should be resolved by the British
themselves.  Both in fact are members of the elite, using populism to gain
and maintain their positions of power.  Neither acts like a real
conservative;  just look at the massive deficits Trump is running up and
the way Johnso is tearing down the traditional restraints on executive
power in the UK.

Dan Matyola