On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 08:19:28PM -0500, John Sessoms wrote:
> Many of the older Canon/Nikon shooters in the nature photography group I'm
> involved with have switched to Four Thirds (micro four thirds?) mirrorless
> systems.
>
> A 150-400 lens in that system apparently has an 35mm equivalent of 300-800mm
> ... and costs slightly less than Canon/Nikon big glass.

If you're shopping with an unlimited budget, Olympus have recently come out
with a 150-400/f4.5 (with a built-in 1.25x teleconverter) for a mere $7500...
(It's also compatible with the Olympus 2x teleconverter, for extreme zoom;
using both the built-in and the 2x TCx gives you up to 1000 mm actual focal
length - a FOV equivalent to a 2000mm lens on a 35mm body).

If you're a little more cost-conscious, you might consider a 100-400
There are a couple of options there - both Panasonic and Olympus have one
(although the Olympus one is reportedly a re-badged Sigma). The panasonic
gets several good reports, and comes in at around $1800.

I've currently only got the Olympus 40-150/2.8  If I get the 2x teleconverter
that will give me an 80-300/f5.6, which is comparable to what my FA* 250-600
got me back when I was shooting film.

If I want anything more than this the first thing I'd look at is the 300mm/f4
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List