From: "Benjamin Udell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:30 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: NEW ELEMENTS: So what is it all about?

Jim, list,

A few corrections, then a discussion which may be of interest to, ahem, not
only Sir Piat, but also Sir Ransdell & Sir Richmond.  Interpretants &
iconicity are dealt with, eventually.  I beg a little patience on this one,
good Sir Knights, unsheathe thy swords not too quickly. (Note to self: ask
them later what, if any, effect this near-flattery had on them.)

Correction: I left "reality" accidentally off this trikon, now I've put it
where I originally meant to:

1. Term (seme, etc.) -  (univocality?) -- (case in the sense of question,
issue, matter, _res_?) --- possibility.
|> 3. Argument -- validity -- law --- (conditional) necessity, reality.
2. Proposition - truth -- fact --- actuality.

Correction the second, I said: "...we did not find resemblance embodied
except in "compromise" form with indexicality, in material kinships...."
I think that Peirce would take the embodiment of mathematical diagrams as
the embodiment of icons and as not needing to be in something like the
"compromise" form with embodied indexicality which I was discussing as
"material kinship."  I forgot that at that moment because I generally think
of the mathematical diagram not as an icon of its object but instead as an
instance of a sign defined by that support which it would supply to
recognition (of its experimentational & decision-process legitimacy), across
any & all disparities of appearance (and of time, place, modality,
universe-of-discourse, etc.) between said sign & its object.
\
1. If a genuine sign's ground is an abstraction which, by its categorial
character, neither opens nor closes questions (i.e. it keeps information the
same), then the ground is a reaction or resistance, a concrete factual
connection with its object. Then the sign itself is an index. (I strongly
suspect that this info-preservative kind of "abstraction" can indeed be
called an abstraction; but, if not, then not.)

2. If a genuine sign's ground is an abstraction which, by its categorial
character, only opens questions (only removes information), then the ground
is, to that extent, a quality, a semblance, a sample aspect apparent as
sustained and "carried on" by the sign so long as the sign is "true to
itself" in this. (To gain such a sign brings an increase of information, of
course, but I am focusing on the info relationship between the ground and
that from which it is abstracted.) Then the sign itself is an icon.

3. If a genuine sign's ground is an abstraction which, by its categorial
character, only closes questions (only adds information), i.e., reduces away
or "sums over" all factors seen as extraneous to the abstraction's purpose,
then the ground is, to that extent, a meaning or implication, a gist, an
effect that it will, by habitual tendency, have on the interpretant, of
making the interpretant resemble the gist, in meaningfully _appearing_ as --
without iconically resembling -- the object. (This is clarified further
down.)

4. If a genuine sign's ground is an abstraction which, by its categorial
character, both opens & closes questions (removes some information & adds
some information), then the ground is, to the extent, a validity, soundness,
legitimacy (in that respect in which the sign counts _experientially_ as the
object itself without necessarily being confused with the object at all), a
support which the sign would most naturally and directly supply to its
recognition, a support via its reacting legitimately in some respect as --
without indexically pointing to -- the object itself, and the reaction or
resistance being _with the "recognizant."_ Then the sign itself is that
which I call a "proxy." Its ground's abstraction involves a closing and
settling of questions (adding of information) as to what object-related
information is relevant, (e.g., "There are five initially selected objects
in question, it doesn't matter whether we miscounted them or whether they're
really oranges," etc.) and an opening of questions (removal of information)
(e.g., how would the five behave and interact and collaborate with us, the
mathematical observer-experimenter, sheerly in virtue of their fiveness,
supplying us with answers to _fresh and unforeseen_ questions in accordance
with _the rules_ of "fiveness"? I.e., in the concrete world, the question,
for instance, of 5^3=? is taken as closed in the sense that the "world" will
behave as determined by the answer -- but in the abstract, we come into
relief as a part of, or really a wannabe-proxy for, the world, so that we're
as the world as having "forgotten" the answer and needing to "recollect"
it.)  The proxy doesn't have to be a mathematical diagram, it could be a
lawyer behaving, acting, decision-making on a client's behalf _in accordance
with the rules_ pertaining to the legal interests of said client who may be
sitting right there but insufficiently adept at representing his/her own
legal interests, or who may be elsewhere, or asleep, or non compos mentis,
or in a coma, or deceased, or even somewhat idealized from the start, as
sometimes in a class action lawsuit. Thus arises the importance of the
WOULD-BE in the definition of the proxy, defined by the legitimacy which the
sign WOULD have to the recognizant observing its object, irregardlessly of
current & prominent appearances. The icon is defined by its OWN APPEARANCE,
the sign's ACTUALIZATIONAL seeming as the object which has been or seems to
be or will likely be or is presumed to be. The icon is defined by the
appearance which it IS presenting to the capacity to feel, and NOT by the
sign's AGENTIAL POTENCY as the object which has been or seems to be or will
likely be or is presumed to be. It's an agential, decisional power which is
properly that of a proxy in matters ongoing, unpredicted, newly arising. The
imagination binds itself to _honor_ and _adhere to_ the hypothetical as
real.

The ground as abstraction that only closes questions (only removes
information): Like being an appearance of the object in a different, and
very special, modality. Then the sign itself is a symbol. In other words,
it's not like the _reproduction_ of a quality in the same modality, but like
the _translation_ of a quality into another modality, but not just any other
modality, but instead one specially apt and purposed for such translations
AS translations for the interpretant, a modality in which things are
decidedly not primarily what they seem. It will often be the case that the
reason for the translation is not that the mind in question is unable to
sense the quality, but rather that the icon is not, as a practical matter,
obtainable; so instead another sign is obtained, and the interpretant then
either (a) retranslates to a reasonably approximate icon of the object; and
likewises icons of icons and icons of symbols and ICONS WHOSE OBJECTS ARE
INDICES or (b) goes far enough in the direction of such retranslation as to
feel assured in the probability of doing so if the need or desire for
further such explicitation should arise or (c) lacks the needed icons and
hopes either that they aren't really needed or that they can be supplied
later (e.g., as in "I followed the surface sense of the text, but I don't
really _understand_ it yet."). The interpretant does not translate to
indexical sinsigns per se. That would be an experiential recognition of a
reaction or resistance. The interpretant qua interpretant (as opposed to qua
interpretand) always has the generality of a quality of sense or feeling.
Hence, the interpretant is iconoid, iconlike, just as the recognition is
indexoid, indexlike. Qua interpretant it is the qualification, the
qualitatization, of that event, that "particular" universe, which is the
interpreted sign qua interpretand. The sign, qua event, itself is as a
universe, and thus is symboloid, symbollike -- this is in a different sense
than that in which the sign is sinsign, qualisign, or legisign. The sign
itself is the referring of the object to some world or universe. The
"pre-sign" object itself, qua representand & not qua representans, is as a
universal and thus is proxyoid, proxylike, like a mathematical diagram or a
node in a mathematical diagram.

1. Object (qua still to be represented)-- proxylike, quasi-noumenal but NOT
a fiction, that by which semiosis seeks to be determined, but which in its
phase of indeterminate representation, interpretation, & experience, is as a
mathematical universal, a "something" x, imaginative--volitional (such that
one wills, tries, seeks, chooses, adheres to being determined by the
object).
2. Sign (qua still to be interpreted) -- symbollike -- event, _a_ universe,
term of an alternative, intellectual--abilitative/technical/competential.
3. Interpretant -- iconlike, qualitative, sensory-intuitive--affective.
4. Recognition -- indexlike, concrete singular among more such,
commonsense-perceptual--cognitive.

Note consistent & complete pattern of inverse relationships.
1. Object, (D) proxylike -- a sign defined by relationship to object is (A)
an index.
2. Sign, (C) symbollike -- a sign defined by relationship to itself (sign)
is (B) an icon
3. Interpretant, (B) iconlike -- a sign defined by relationship to
interpretant is (C) a symbol.
4. Recognition, (A) indexlike -- a sign defined by relationship to
recognition is (D) a proxy.

1. The idealized system of motions & forces -- classical Newtonian or
pure-quantum-system -- is time-symmetric, completely deterministic in the
given relevant sense, unmuddled, pure OBJECT to us, information about which
object we can only approach indefinitely, as to a limit.
2. The material system is time-nonsymmetric, stochastic-processual, in which
the system at a given stage is only ALMOST the system at another given
stage, i.e., a SIGN to us of the system at other stage.
3. The vegetable-level biological system is time-nonsymmetric but LOCALLY
pointed thermodynamically in the opposite direction from that of its
material world, from which it filters order and is an INTERPRETANT to us.
4. The intelligent living system is time-nonsymmetric but INDIVIDUALLY
pointed variously in both directions thermodynamically -- as living thing,
it filters for order -- as intelligent, it is a sink, retaining sign-rich
disorder as recorded -- I don't know how it pulls double-direction "trick"
off -- anyway it is a RECOGNITION which we are.

The sign defined by its relationship to recogition is a proxy.

ERGO: As sign, man is most of all a proxy. At intelligent life's best, only
indefinitely approached, intelligent life is a genuine, legitimate proxy
acting & deciding on behalf of the ideal, in being determined _by_ the
ideal. Intelligent life shouldn't let it go to his/her head, though. Hard it
is to be good; harder still to confirm & solidify it by entelechy = by
staying good => continual renovation and occasional rearchitecting
(entelechy is not necessarily a freeze) amid changing & evolvable
conditions.

Best, Ben