Joe,

Let's just say that I misunderstood what you were saying and read too much into it about inquiry priorities. It certainly was not a "blatant diversionary tactic." It was what I thought at the time.

If neurons have a lot of triadicity, that's fine with me. At some level, we're biological information processes and I wouldn't expect to see a recipient/recognizant role distinctly embodied all the way down.

It's clear to me at this point that you have some recondite conception of verification. I really don't know what you're thinking of in regard to it.

I have specified that I'm using "verification" as a "forest" term for the various "trees" of confirmation, corroboration, proof, etc.

Maybe you think that I'm talking only of a conscious deliberate act, or some sort of counterpart thereto at a neuronal level. I have already specified otherwise.

Any time you enter a situation with some conjectures, expectations, understandings, memories, etc., you are testing them, whether that's your purpose or not. And you're always entering a situation with such orientations. And you see what happens, and are surprised, unsurprised, etc. As an intelligent system, you learn from the result and accordingly revise, even if only slightly in particular cases, the system which you are. That is evolution (as opposed, say, to pre-programmed development).

The "universal category" of _accidens_ involved is that of consistency, truth, validity, soundness, legitimacy, etc.

Now, looking at the four (the first three are similar to Peircean ones):

1. reaction, force, connection ~ ~ ~ ~ 3. meaning, importance, import, good/ill
2. aptness, tendency, etc. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 4. truth, legitimacy, etc.

You can see that I'm actually relating categories and semiosis back to more traditional philosoophical structures. Or maybe you can't see it, haven't thought about the four causes and related conceptions that much, don't "get" a strong-apt-good-true 4-chotomy, just aren't familiar enough with those byways to see the structure there, and so on.

But actually I've argued these subject matters all in much more detail elsewhere. I'm growing tired of this.

Best,
Ben
http://tetrast.blogspot.com

Ben, let's focus on the following interchange:

[JR] The universal categories are analytical elements involved in all cases alike and any individual case must already be fully constituted as being of the nature of a cognition of some sort before the question of its verificational status can even arise. The verificational factor therefore cannot be on par with the sort of universal element we are concerned with when we are concerned with the categories.

[BU] In other words, never mind pointing out a contradiction in semiotics and arguing for a given solution as most common-sensical and accordant with general experience, though it would undermine the category theory, instead, do a whole new category theory before critically looking at semiotics.

REPLY:  No, those are not other words for the same thing, but merely a blatant bit of diversionary rhetorical ploy.

[BU continuing]  Even for those for whom Peirce's category theory is _that well established_, that argument should not be valid, at least as it is formulated, since the truth is that a problem arising in a special area can _lead_ to revisions in a more general area; it really depends on the case, and no theory is allowed such sheer monolithicism as to immunize it from revision.

REPLY:  The specific point I made is simply ignored in favor of inveighing against a supposed commitment of mine to some general thesis about special cases and general areas which is supposedly designed to immunize Peirce's view from all criticism.  Come on, Ben.

[BU continuing:]  But Peirce's category theory is not even well established among philosophers generally, so this sort of requirement has that much less credibility.

REPLY:  What sort of requirement?  You say nothing about what I actually said.  Skipping over a paragraph about a past message in which you outlined "an alternate category theory", you then go on to say:

[BU]: But where Joe really goes wrong is in saying _that a cognition must be fully constituted before the question of its verificational status can even arise_. At this point I have no idea what Joe means by "verification," surely he doesn't think that it's something that only professional scientists do. It's something, instead, that children do every day, and shout about, often enough. "Prove it!" "Yeah, I don't need to prove it!" "Oh yes you do!" And so on. On some subjects their standards of verification will leave something to be desired, but standards indeed they do have. Even a dog can learn to check whether a stick has actually departed from the throwing hand. Anybody who thinks that a cognition can be fully constituted without a verificational aspect which helped form it, is saying that cognition is nothing but whistling in the dark. If verification is not a dimension of cognition, then we're mere vegetable organisms, blindly and quasi-robotically pursuing ends which don't evolve in one's lifetime. Of course, if we state a genuinely human end in a most general form, as being, for instance, "the good in its rational character," then we can say, lo, the end evolves not. But that's just a trick.

REPLY: If you were actually to say anything about how verification does and must plays a role in every cognition, it would be to the point, Ben.  But how many cognitions do you suppose have occurred in your thinking or mine just in the last ten minutes, let us say?  Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands?  You know of course of the mind-boggling complexity of the neural system and how much processing at an unconscious level must be going on in the nervous system which, even in ten minutes time, will underlie what must be hundreds or thousands of more or less conscious perceptions that are going on at a low level of perceptual consciousness.  Of course one might be dozing off and nothing much is happening consciously, but if one is conscious at all, how many distinguishable cognitions might one discern over even a brief period like ten minutes.  To the extent that those occurrences really do or should count as cognitions it should be possible to analyze them relying upon the categorial conceptions for the basic structural order of them considered as processes.  I can imagine (vaguely) the possibility of coming up with a persuasive reason for saying that the elementary conceptions of firstnes, secondness, and thirdness, with the latter understood as a sign-object-interrpetant structure, and with those conceptions further distinsuishable in accordance with the many trichotomic distinctions that he makes in the sign classification part of his theory -- given all of that, I can still imagine someone saying "Not enough; a tetradic relationship related to Peirce's triad as it relates to the dyad, etc., must also be involved" and giving a good reason for thinking that there must be some such additional factor which Peirce overlooked.  And that even goes for a claim about a necessary five-place relation, too, though I have no idea why anyone would say it.  I am by no means cloaed to these possibiliteis.   But what I do not understand is why you would think that in fact there will be for every discriminable cognition something called a verification involved in it implicitly, which is what would be required for it to be a categorial element in the relevant sense of "category".

As far all the rhetoric about us otherwise being mere vegetable organisms, "whistling in the dark" (whistling vegetables?): the fact is that we are merely "whistling in the dark" in most of our understanding of things, and your rhetoric about that so far overshoots its mark as to be a reductio ad absurdem even as rhetoric.  We need not turn to low-level micro-perceptions for cases of cognition showing no apparent trace of anything that could be called verification, but need only turn on the evening news to see how entire nations can fall into the hands of leaders with university degrees who work systematically at making sure that no idea of theirs is ever subjected to verification until its stupidity has insured that the catastropic consequences of acting upon it forces refutation of the bloodiest sort upon them, and even then find it difficult to appreciate it AS such.   Of course verification is humanly important.  But there is surely good reason to say that it is not of the nature of a UNIVERSAL categorial conception, and I do not find the kind of argument you have been giving persuasive because it does not seem to address what is most implausible about proposing it as such.

Joe