Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 3:15 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: The "composite photograph" metaphor

Joe, list,

The purpose (http://www.mail-archive.com/peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu/msg01288.html also at  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/1344) of my quoting Peirce on verification was to counter Charles' claim that verification amounts to nothing more than one's acting as if a claim were true, and Charles' making it sound like there's something superfluous about verification, that it's somehow meaningless to think of really verifying or disverifying a claimed rule like "where there's smoke, there's fire," meaningless insofar as it supposedly involves indulging in Cartesian doubt and insofar one has already done whatever verification one can do, by acting as if the claimed rule were true -- as if the way to understand verification were to understand it as a piece of symbolism about a rule only hyperbolically doubtable, understand verification as an act which stands as symbol (or, for that matter, as index or whatever) to another mind, rather than as an observing of sign as truly corresponding to object, and of interpretant as truly corresponding to sign and object. Verification does not need to be actually public and shared among very distinct minds, though it should be, at least in principle, sharable, potentially public in those ways. (Of course, _scientific_ verification has higher standards than that.) I quoted Peirce on verification to show that, in the Peircean view, the doubting of a claimed rule is not automatically a universal, hyperbolic, Cartesian doubt of the kind which Peirce rejects, especially rejects as a basis on which (a la Descartes) only deductive reasoning will be allowed to build -- a Cartesian needle's eye of doubt through which all philosophical ideas are mistakenly forced to pass or be discarded. I was defending myself against Charles' claim that my view of verification implied some systematic incorporation of Cartesian doubt into research practices and against Charles' suggestion that therefore maybe I was a nominalist.

>[Joe] My point is that it is surely obvious that we don't take steps to verify something in ordinary life unless we have some special reason to do so, and that any steps actually taken to verify anything are taken only if something has come to our attention as requiring such action. Ordinarily, we just accept what we unreflectively learn (come to believe or to think to be so) either in the ordinary course of living and perceiving things or in the course of learning about what other people think to be so, supposing we have a normal regard for the competence of others as regards the sort of thing in question (which of course varies a lot). Always, though, something of the nature of an acceptance or claim to the effect that something is so is presupposed by the activity of verifying it. It cannot be the case, then, that all of our understanding of things includes verification as an essential part of it. In fact, it must be only a very small percentage of the opinions, beliefs, etc., that we acquire in the normal course of living involve verification in their acquisition. And this makes it quite out of the question to suppose that verification especially and essentially involves or includes something which is of a categorial nature which is not already present in all cognition, which must surely include much that involves no verification and is never considered to be in any need of it.

Evidently you still think that I'm talking only of conscious deliberate verification involving the taking of physically active steps. That is not at all the only kind of verification which I've been discussing.

The things which you describe are only part of that which I mean by "verification," which I'm using as a forest term for the various trees. In experience and life, the greater part of experience whereby the mind supports and verifies (to whatever extent) is experience which the mind already has, and the main active steps are usually at most a bit of digging through memory. The whole "feeling" of experience, acquaintance, knowledge, recognition, etc., as involving a _pastward_ orientation is no mere accident of linguistic history; likewise the "feeling" of settlement, establishment, etc., as involving becoming part of the past (not in the sense of the departed but instead in the sense of that which has been, that which is the foundation on which we stand). Oftenest, when a mind forms an interpretant supported by that mind's experience, that's it right there -- recognition takes place at near lightspeed -- "verification accomplished," as far as that mind is concerned, and accomplished more or less fallibly as is often if not always also recognized by the given mind. That is a big part of what I mean by "verification," and I hold that it happens just as largely and minutely and consciously and unconsciously at every semiosic stage and level, just as largely and minutely and consciously and unconsciously as objectification, representation, and interpretation happen.

Science is distinguished by (among other things) a very active attitude of taking verificational steps in a context where an everyday mind (and also a scientific mind busy with other things) is often content to stand/sit/rest on the established. Science swims especially hard "upstream." Science involves one's being very active in order to arrange to be "acted-on," determined, and supported, by truth. This interesting tension between research activity and that at which it aims -- a basic kind of passivity of/in subjection to truth -- is, I think most will agree, no mere figment of conception, but instead a challenge which research confronts in its practices every day. One keeps deciding and determining steps in order to _let the truth decide_, ultimately also in order to see to it that the verificational steps are also determined by truth rather than arbitrarily by truth's student, and many are the de-legitimizing entanglements, the pitfalls and traps, and many are the precautions taken against the student's (unwittingly or, unfortunately, otherwise) stacking the deck, a stacking which can easily happen when, after all, the student is being so _active_, mentally and/or physically. But the kind of concentrated of example of verificational process which science is, is not typical in every respect of verificational processes in everyday life, any more than scientific representations, portrayals, indications, symbolizations, etc., are typical in every respect of signs and representations in general and in everyday life. As we remain well aware of science's prized unusually high standards which make its representations "special cases" even as we look to science for clarified examples of representation, so, likewise, we can remain aware of the various respects in which scientific verification is representative and unrepresentative of verification in its more common forms. In particular, in everday life, one often prizes knowing about things. But a scientist prizes and makes a discipline of knowing in or on what light or basis one knows things -- a scientist prizes verification and makes a discipline of it. Novelist Henry Green's occasional feat of making the reader "know" something, somehow infer to it conclusively, without the reader's knowing how s/he "knows" it, could work as a guilty pleasure, if not a source of discomfort, to a scientist.

If, after all this, you wish that I would just use some other word than "verification," I'm open to suggestions. I've also used "recognition" but the problem with that word is that it also names a psychological act in some sense that "interpretation" and "representation" do not, and there are other and related problems with it as well. Though I didn't see it clearly from the start, "recognition" in the sense in which I've used it really should not be _equated_ with "acknowledgement" any more than "representation" should be _equated_ with "assertion." "Establishment" seems to come closest to the desired sense, but it is also used in the sense of "founding" or "setting up" as in "establishing an organization" etc., and even in the verificational sense it's kind of strong in its "up-or-down" feeling; one is particularly unaccustomed to a phrase like "degrees of establishment." Also it's hard to form a word like "interpretant" or "recognizant" from "establish" -- going back to Latin, it should be "stabilient" but that word does not evoke the word "establish." Maybe I could go half-Spanish and coin "establecent." Or "establizant"? "Establicant"? "Establishant"?

>[Joe] This is not to say that you are mistaken in stressing the importance of verification as a philosophical topic. it is remarkable just how little attention has been paid to it even by philosophers of science, where it has usually been discussed only in the context of (1) the verificationist theory of meaning and (2) the context of induction and the problem of establishing its validity as a mode of inference. Those are not trivial contexts and what you are saying may have considerable importance relative to those contexts of interest and some others as well, perhaps. Thus I don't intend any discouragement or disparagement of what you are concerned about as regards those contexts of interest. But I think you may be inadvertently blunting the significance of what you are driving at by relativizing it to the context of interest which concerns the categorial conceptions, and, moreover, the attempt to make it relevant to the problematics of the categories may actually be distorting your thinking in some way. I think it may in fact be doing precisely that, and the reason for my thinking so is that I keep finding myself unable to make what you are saying add up to anything, regardless of how impressive it may seem prima facie.

I agree that you seem not to have understood at least some of what I've said, and, in the case of the conception of verification, you've taken me to be discussing verification much more narrowly than I've been discussing it, and so it's left you wondering why I see it as broad enough for general relevance in a broad categorial context. It would leave me wondering too. So I'm inclined to regard as arising from such misunderstandings your feeling that something not yet articulable is big-time wrong with my ideas and your idea that a categorial context is not right for this.

Lately I've noticed that people talk about "the categories" and seem to mean the basic semiotic elements (object, sign, interpretant). When I see "categories" or "categorial" I usually take it initially in the cenopythagorean sense (quality, reaction, representation). Anyway, I'm unsure how you mean "categorial" here, but it may ultimately make not that much difference. Anyway, I'll respond to the rest of your post later.

Best regards,

>[Joe] It is my experience in doing philosophy over the years that one frequently has to trust one's intuitive judgment or intuitive sense as regards whether something being said really makes any sense. Sometimes one has to go with something that seems clearly not to do so because, in spite of that, one also has the feeling that it really does make good and important sense even though one can't figure out what exactly that might be at the moment. And this also holds for things that may seem to make sense, though one is not really sure of that and one is suspicious of it as probably being senseless in spite of seeming, on the face of it, to do so. In fact, on most topics of interest one's hunches along these lines must be relied upon or else one will never get to anything very interesting or worthwhile. And it is easy to be seriouisly mistaken in both ways, which raises important questions about research methodology in philosophy that are too often avoided.

>[Joe] But as regards the matter in question here, I can only say that I have a strongly felt hunch that your argumentation is being distorted by the misguided attempted to try to fit the problematics of verification into the context of the problematics of category theory, where it simply doesn't fit. You are mistaken in thinking that I am so totally persuaded that there is no fourth category to be added to Peirce's three that I am simply prejudiced against what you are saying for that reason. In fact, I am not persuaded of that at all and would not be inclined to want to put the time in on trying to demonstrate it. I just don't know of any reason that persuades me that there is such a thing. As regards your work, It is just that when I read what you say on the topic I don't really understand what you are saying most of the time, whereas I usually find you very good at understanding and commenting upon what Peirce is saying, but I do not find myself inclined to trust your judgment on this particular topic because I find you saying so many things that seem to me to be off in some way, even though I usually can't say exactly why. I can't simply refute your claim, Ben, but I am suspicious enough of so much of what you are saying in that connection that I am content with the hunch that you are mistaken, and I do think that the reasons I have adduced in respect to the claim about verification as being or essentially involving a fourth categorial factor are pretty good ones for rejecting that particular claim of yours.

>[Joe] Well, maybe that really is the last word on that for me!

Best regards,

Joe