Dennis wrote:
> The point is that East Asia and Central Europe are going to be the key
> battlegrounds for the global class struggle; in a world-economy where the
> US makes up only around 20% of total production, and is trillions of euros
> in debt to the new metropoles, we like Britain before us are slowly but
> inexorably becoming irrelevant to the command-and-control functions of
> the global economy. We've got to fight the Silicon capitalists of the 21st
> century as well as the mouldering Gingrichite revenants of the 19th

I have yet to be convinced of this. The US is not falling behind, it is
moving ahead. And Japan and Germany are not going to catch up and
overtake Anglo-Saxon capitalism anytime soon, if ever. BTW, people write
off Rule Britannia too easily. As the 51st state of the Union, we are
doing rather well. To call us 'irrelevant' is seriously wide of the
deutschmark, now worth one-third less than the UK pound from 18 months
ago.

As for thinking we Brits were pushed off the pedestal, we weren't. It
should be remembered that the British, especially under Churchill, had
to practically push the baton into an unwilling (at first) American
grasp. That was his plan and it worked. Anglo-Saxon world dominion has
lasted for almost three centuries and will probably last as long as
capitalism.

Mark