Carrol Cox:
>Sabri, you simply have to acknowledge that a maillist post, usually a
>fairly hastily written first draft, and almost always rather short for
>the topics being covered, is not an article in a scholarly journal.

It is exactly this notion that makes email lists, especially and ironically
those that are geared to academia, pretty worthless in my opinion.

You get the most extreme version of this at the H-Humanities site, which
practically interviews you before allowing you on one of their
self-aggrandizing but sterile lists. For example, I just opened up the
September archives page of H-afrpol (African Politics), selected at random
and which presumably would be boiling with discussions of the Ivory Coast
rebellion, etc. Instead it reveals this:

2002-09-29
  Amos Anyimadu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  REPLY: Film BlackHawk Down as a
Teaching Resource  View
  Amos Anyimadu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Film BlackHawk Down as a
Teaching Resource  View

2002-09-10
  Amos Anyimadu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Job Annoucement. Duke
University, African and African American Studies Program  View
  Amos Anyimadu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  AFRICAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION OF
AUSTRALASIA & THE PACIFIC 25th Annual Conference,  View

2002-09-08
  Amos Anyimadu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Help with Ph.d. on Governance
Constraints in Africa  View

2002-09-07
  Amos Anyimadu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  A New Film about Rwanda  View

2002-09-03
  Diana Rosenberg  New Book: Computerization of An African University Library

That's exactly 7 messages in the month of September and all fall into the
category of announcements or teaching aids. Africa burns and these pedants
offer help with Ph.d.'s and the appropriateness of 'Blackhawk Down' as a
teaching aid.

The lists at CSF are not that much better. I just unsubbed from the WSN
list because it consisted of nothing but crosspostings from the bourgeois
press and the infamous Nemomini. I stick with PEN-L because there are many
academics here who might actually find one of my lengthier posts
interesting. In fact, my contributions to Canadian Dimension, which have
numbered perhaps a dozen over the past 3 years or so, were read here first
and selected for publication by the editor. This is just the way I like
doing things. My days of sending in a blind submission to MR or CNS, etc.
are long past.

The discussion over fascism here is exactly what I find useless. Carrol
thinks that you can have an intelligent discussion about fascism in a
paragraph or two. I have no idea how this is possible. I developed an
analysis of fascism on a Marxism list in 1996 during the Pat Buchanan
campaign. It amounts to 14,288 words and includes a discussion of the 18th
Brumaire, Hitler's rise to power, McCarthyism, etc. I understand that for
many people, especially professors and journalists, email lists are a
diversion from more laborious tasks like getting their next article ready
for submission but for the rest of us proles it is a way of ANALYZING
SOCIETY and DEVELOPING A REVOLUTIONARY STRATEGY. To do this effectively, it
requires more than a one or two sentence quip.

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/fascism_and_war/fascism.htm

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org