--- Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Carrol Cox:
> >Sabri, you simply have to acknowledge that a
> maillist post, usually a
> >fairly hastily written first draft, and almost
> always rather short for
> >the topics being covered, is not an article in
> a scholarly journal.
>
> It is exactly this notion that makes email
> lists, especially and ironically
> those that are geared to academia, pretty
> worthless in my opinion.

Perhaps that's because academia is largely
sterile. Think of spontaneous, unedited e-mail
lists as places to have intellectual
conversations using written language. They are
not necessarily good places to show academic
chops (nothing makes we want to puke more than
seeing someone aggrandize themselves with details
of their latest accomplishment) nor great venues
for scholarly exchange of the sort paraded out in
academic journals. Sure, a lot of ideas get
stolen on lists like this, no citation or credit
given. That is why some people spectate here. But
that is the nature of the internet. Because you
give ideas away, explicitly people will say much
of the discussion is worthless even as they
plunder away.

CJ