--- Yoshie Furuhashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> A social
> movement, especially
> one with an ambition to present an alternative to
> capitalist
> modernity, needs a world view, a world view that
> inspires people to
> have faith in the work they must do in the face of
> adversity.

I'm skeptical as to whether a better worldview is
sufficient as a catalyst for mobilization.  I think
you were closer to reality that once you have a fully
functioning commodity-producing society, with almost
all social relationships subjugated to the value form
and wage relationship, mobilizing people in a way that
isn't system-immanent is nearly impossible.

The classical workers movment was a movement by the
proletariat *for* it's full, democratic integration
into the sytem of wage-labor and parliamentary
democracy.  The American civil rights movement was a
movement by black folk excluded from all that for the
same thing.  And the recent latino mobilizations, I
would think, are in many ways the same.

Which is not to say that such mobilizations shouldn't
be supported.  As I stated on lbo-talk, full support
for open borders is the *minimal* demand for any
communist today.  This to me is a non-negotiable
position.  Anyone arguing for some sort of
social-democratic welfare state measures to cushion
the blow of neo-liberalism for workers in the advanced
countries, but not supporting open borders, is
defending racial privilege and welfare chauvinism of
the advanced countries.

Maybe every such movement for full democratic and
civil rights has a *potentially* revolutionary
dynamic, but with a time limit set, a closing window
of opportunity.  Latino workers fighting for access to
the United States job market, and full
bourgeois-democratic rights within the American
political system, have a *potentially* revolutionary
dynamic by throwing down the gauntlet to the privilege
of native American workers.

But the window of opportunity shrinks.  And if the
balance of forces changes sufficiently so that Latino
immigrants are able to achieve their demands eithout
effecting a revolutionary dynamic, then we are back to
square one.  Once people have mortages and Nintendo
Wii, that window of opportunity closes.

A quick glimpse at the technology discussion forums at
www.digg.com gives a nice picture of the state of mind
of workers in the advanced countries.  When "Macintosh
is so lame you stupid faggot loser" is the level of
discourse of the educated skilled-worker elite, I
don't see how any worldview, no matter how good, has
any mobilization potential.