I've been working on cobbling together a modern mailing list manager
written in Perl (Saddlebags), because I find it absolutely
unacceptable that things like the dbic list are running on mailman. As
a part of this, the subject of storing emails in databases came up.
Obviously, we turned to Email::Store.

Of course, those of you who've looked at E::S know that it was written
in the CDBI days, and is in fact rather tightly woven together with
CDBI. Saddlebags is a primarily DBIC project, and I'd rather not bring
in a module, for new code, that would have to use other new code's
compat layers. I mentioned this offhand to mst, who mentioned it to
other people, namely one Brian Cassidy on #dbix-class. Discussion
moved to #email and with rjbs' advice, we have the very beginnings of
Email::Archive.

Right now things are at the general planning stage. I was discussing
things with Brian Cassidy on #dbix-class and then #email; right now
the basic plan is to put something together that has a data store
abstraction, so someone can say "dbic sucks, I want $THIS_ORM instead"
and be able to write some code that DTRT. We also discussed
Email::Store::Entity, and decided it's a good idea, but that we want
something more basic for now, with the plan of extending it in the
future.

We've got a (mostly empty for the moment) repo at
http://www.coitusmentis.info/repos/email-archive/ , hosted on my home
cable connection; will see how things go with that. There were a few
more things discussed that I'll put in an irclog.txt file in the repo.
Anyone interested in contributing can privmsg me an htpasswd line
(SHA1 preferably) on IRC (nick apeiron, I'm on magnet, freenode,
efnet), or you can Jabber me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .