On Sep 17, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Karen Cravens wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, William Yardley wrote:

WY>Seems kind of overkill to write a new tool just because the one
WY>being used isn't written in Perl.

Isn't there a project to rewrite all the Debian utilities in Python
instead of Perl because some Python people are offended by the presence of
Perl in the distro?

Somebody's gotta maintain the cosmic Perl/Python balance.

It keeps the zealots on both sides out of the way of those who
actually do useful stuff, I guess.

I'd like a perl-based mailing list manager myself, and a perl-based
blog framework. But what I really want is mlm and blog packages
that don't suck for what I want to use them for. Given that pretty much
all of them do suck, my best bet is to find a fairly good one that I
can hack on to improve it, and I'm more comfortable in perl than,
say, lisp or python.

But the goal is a package that's better than what's there now,
rather than anything language specific.

Cheers,
  Steve