I did some profiling and easy optimizations which sped things up quite a bit,
but it didn't translate into real world improvements.  Turns out the real
problem is startup time.

    use Test::More;

0.98
real    0m0.021s
user    0m0.016s
sys     0m0.004s

1.5
real    0m0.092s
user    0m0.083s
sys     0m0.008s

That's going to be a tough one to cut down, simply because Test::Builder1.5
contains so many more individual files to load and attributes to set up.
There's some things it's doing at compile time that can be hard coded (like
setting up all the Result subclasses), but what shaves off a good chunk is
using Mouse with XS.

1.5 with XS Mouse
real    0m0.070s
user    0m0.061s
sys     0m0.007s

So that's another point in its favor.

--
<Schwern> What we learned was if you get confused, grab someone and swing
          them around a few times