On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:35 AM, yary <not....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd think Michael has the interests of CPAN smoke testers in mind with
> these performance benchmarks. You're right in that for the typical
> developer, it's not significant.

Just to offer a contrasting viewpoint: if you're using TDD, you're
running tests *constantly*.  My typical work cycle is to run a single
test file (whichever one I'm working on) over and over--several times
a minute--until I get to a certain point, then run a larger subset of
tests to verify I haven't broken anything (perhaps a couple times an
hour), then the full test suite before I check anything in.  So the
test speed is pretty important.  The slower the tests run, the more it
encourages people to delay running the tests, which in turn means more
changes between test runs and longer debugging cycles.

            -- Buddy