Chris Prince-Colbath wrote:
> The main reason I use Winvi32 is that it will switch between ANSI and ASCII
> so you can save the files appropriately for the platform you choose.

Um... It may be that Winvi32 has an ANSI mode, but DOS text format,
which is distinguished only by the \r\n line ending, is not called
ANSI.  Neither is Unix's \n line ending called ASCII.  Both systems
use the ASCII character set.

> If you
> ftp from UNIX to Windows in binary format, though, you don't have the
> problem.

No, that's backwards.  It's ASCII mode which correctly transforms
line endings.  BINARY, as one would expect, preserves the exact
binary byte sequence, regardless of consequences.

--
John Porter