On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 09:18:52AM -0500, Adam Turoff wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:23:55PM -0500, Ben Okopnik wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:14:44PM -0500, Adam Turoff wrote:
> > > Now, can we *>PLEASE<* stop with the semantic games?
> >
> > I'm not sure who you're speaking to here; it certainly can't be me. How
> > about directing your comments to those to whom they apply?
>
> The training list is pretty low volume, but this discussion of what
> "proven" means has gone on for about 23 messages.  Given the nature
> of the forum and this discussion, this subthread has turned mostly
> wordplay and posturing.  This comment wasn't directed at you
> personally, but at the disturbingly argumenative tone this subthread
> has taken.

Ah. Understood. I certainly did not intend to contribute to that tone - but
all the discussion had brought up an interesting point. As well, from
seeing later posts in this thread, I would say that it has been useful: a
couple of people have come up with very interesting suggestions for
discriminating between the bad and the good. 'Tis an ill wind, etc.

> No one is arguing that brian be the sole gatekeeper of a trainers list
> until the end of time.  If you think that setting criteria for inclusion
> in the trainers list is bogus, we'd like to hear your POV.  If you'd like
> to see different criteria for inclusion, we'd like to hear your POV.

Hm. Truth to tell, I hadn't been able to come up with any that didn't take
a lot of personal involvement and time - but the cogency of other people's
suggestions here has definitely struck home with me; most of them seem to be
well worth consideration.

> But let's please move away from the arguing about "proven".  OK?  :-)

<grin> Wasn't my intention in the first place, but - it's a deal.

Ben Okopnik
The trick is to keep an open mind, without it being so open that your
brain falls out.