Nathan Wiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Piers Cawley wrote:
> >
> > > First off, I think everyone is reading this RFC with the wrong mindset,
> > > forgetting the concept of embedded objects in Perl 6.
> >
> > Ah, that dumb idea again.
>
> Well, if you disagree with this idea, you probably won't agree with much
> else I have to say on this subject. Just calling something "dumb" isn't
> very productive, though. Maybe an explanation of *why* you think it's
> "dump"? Who knows, you might convince me and all the other "loons" that
> want vtable stuff in core...

Ah... <light dawns>... from reading further down I think I finally
understand where you're coming from with that RFC and it's not as dumb
as I thought it was, though I still wonder what happens when you
assign a 'Dalmation' to a 'Dog' shaped variable.

> > But you're creating the wrong bloody thing. And then you're throwing
> > it away. Now that's what I call a win. In this scenario what will
> >
> >    my Dog $spot;
> >    print defined($spot)
> >
> > return? If it's *not* 'undef' there'd better be a bloody good reason
>
> This should definitely return undef.

That's not the impression I got from reading Michael's RFC.

> > See that
> >
> >     my Dog $patches = $dog_factory->make_me_a_dog
> >
> > That's a factory method that is, returns a Dog of some sort, but you
> > don't know of what breed.
>
> Ok, then again I don't see what your problem with this RFC is.

Because C<ref($patches)> could easily be 'Dalmation'.

> Maybe Michael and I are on different wavelengths,

Actually, I think you may be.