On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:06:45PM -0500, Melvin Smith wrote:
> Eep, you are right, as usual I answered a non-existing question, but
> this brings up a point. Various times I've seen people changing
> "signedness" of variables, etc. in one or two places to clear up a
> few warnings and I'm wondering how many times there have been ripple
> effects.

This is a very important point - thanks for bringing it up.
It was on my mind yesterday when submitted the patch warnings in classes/,
but I should have said it more explicitly - I wasn't going to be able to
fix all the warnings within 24 hours because as soon as I started seeing
signed/unsigned warnings and "comparison with zero always" whatever then
cleaning up would involve really understanding the code.

[actually, it is a very good way to learn what the code is doing]

I wouldn't consider me a hero, because all the warnings I did tidy up were
simple renaming things (or at least I believe that they were, and if they
weren't I didn't afford them enough attention) with the exception of the
typedef for the preferef code, where I spent over an hour trying to get my
head round just what it was doing before I changed only a few lines.

Nicholas Clark
--
ENOJOB http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/CV.html