OK, weekly report.  Ugh.

The language group has generated the vast majority of the 100+ RFCs in
existence, and is suffering under the deluge of 100-200 posts a day.  I
would prefer this to be down around 50, but no luck yet :-/  Part of the
problem seems to be timezone related... the lag time between an RFC
being posted, me seeing the thread and realising the need for a sublist,
and Ask actually creating that list, means that you get 2-3 days of
traffic before it can be moved elsewhere, and a single RFC can easily
generate 50 posts.

Several sublists have been spawned, but we're not sure how successful
they are yet.  They seem to have low traffic, which could mean that they
simply aren't working (because nobody wants to use them), or that they
*are* working (because the people previously discussing the subject on
-language weren't deeply interested and just joining in for the hell of
it, and the sublists scare off the dilletantes).  I think that an NNTP
interface would be *seriously* useful to the sublists.

Discussion over dinner with Melbourne.pm gave me a whole bunch of things
to pursue, including:

- co-operation between the language and stdlib groups (co-operation with
  internals is pretty good already, mostly due to Dan's involvement in
  both camps)
- need to talk more to the PDL/numeric Perl/etc people and figure out
  how best to get that group working well within the language WG
- a few thoughts on RFC format (already posted)

There are a bunch of other little bits and pieces, mostly related to
individual RFCs, which I'll be following up with the RFC authors by
personal email over the next few days.

I got a lot out of talking with Damian and Jeremy face to face over
dinner last night, and would like to repeat that on a semi-regular
basis.  It also reminded me that I should talk more to Nat and Dan and
probably other WG heads... can we set up weekly IRC meetings, at least?

K.

--
Kirrily Robert -- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- http://netizen.com.au/
Open Source development, consulting and solutions