On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Matt Fowles wrote:

  pipe dreams
   Juerd wondered if he could mix = and ==> in a sane way. The answer
   appears to be no. Once you bring in ==> you should stick with it.

Huh?!? It doesn't seem to me that the answer is 'no'. In fact C<< ==> >> is supposed to be yet another operator, albeit somewhat a special one. If I got it right the answer is actually 'yes': what Larry suggested is that it would be _stylistically_ better to stick with it once it is used in the first place.

Michele --
Ah, but the REAL myster is -- did Pythagoras really discourage eating
beans because they resembled human testicles? Or is that another myth?
I always thought it was because of their musical qualities.
- Robert Israel in sci.math (slightly edited)