On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Larry Wall wrote:

: perl -lne 'print if -e :q'

It seems to me that -e «$_» would handle most of these cases, as long as
whitespace always comes in quoted so that you always end up with one word.

I would say this is hardly the case for the kind of file lists I was referring to. Not that this is terribly relevant from a world wide perspective, I guess...

That seems more general than a special option to -X ops.

Speaking of which, I like to think of (some) adverbs in terms of cmd line switches, and maybe it's just me, but I think it would be extremely useful to have a full set of tricky ones providing reasonable defaults (user-overridable, of course), short enough to be easy to type; e.g:

unlink :warn; # roughly equivalent to Perl5's
# unlink or warn "Could not remove `$_':$!\n";

Michele
--
Whoa! That is too weird! I asked around among the math
faculty here and it turns out that _every one's_ wife is married to a mathematician!