On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 09:30:25AM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:51:33AM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:
> : Yes.  The full expression in raw APL for n! is:
> :
> : */<i>n
> :
> : (where <i> is the Greek letter iota - <iota>n is Perl's 1..$n).
>
> Only if the origin is 1.  This breaks under )ORIGIN 0.  <cough> $[ </cough>

Yep.  That was why I was comfortable playing with $[ when it first came
along in early perl (wow, you can set the origin to any value, not just
0 or 1 - now that's progress).

> By the way, the assumption here is that everyone can process Unicode,
> so it's fine to write */⍳n.  :)

That's correct (in my case at least) if "process" means accept and
display properly.

However, the assumption fails if "process" is supposed to mean that
everyone is capable of generating Unicode in the messages that they
are writing.  I don't create non-English text often enough to have
it yet be useful to learn how.  (I'd just forget faster than I'd use
it and have to learn it again each time - but Perl 6 might just be
the tipping point to make learning Unicode composition worthwhile.)