I feel like you're focusing on the wrong thing somehow. The issue is not
that what nqp is doing is somehow wrong. The issue is that the thing it is
doing is necessarily an implementation detail, and as such should be
isolated from the language level and any failures/errors exposed as
language level instead of leaking implementation details the programmer
should not have to care about. The Perl 6 way to do this is to wrap it in a
role that is documented at language level; in this case, I don't think it
is necessary for that role to translate errors between levels (this often
is needed in other such isolation-layer roles), since most (possibly all)
of the errors become language level compile time errors.