Isn't there typically automated test suites that can prove in a few minutes that Rakudo works on a particular platform? Would running this typically be good enough to show that nothing broke in an update? -- Darren Duncan

On 2020-01-04 11:10 a.m., Patrick Spek via perl6-users wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 23:28:38 +0100
Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users <perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:

Hi Patrick,

I'm sure you have plenty of things to do and I don't want to put too
much pressure on you, but it would be really nice to have a good and
more recent  Rakudo Star version available, especially in view of the
recent renaming of the language.

I agree with you, especially the "good" part. Since Rakudo Star has to
work for more people than just me, I'm a little hesitant to move
quickly with it. I can't test it on Mac or Windows, for instance, but
there are users on both platforms, and having a good but old release is
probably better for them than new but broken.

However, if the community would rather I mark the current -rc1 as a
proper release, I can do that too. I just don't want to harm the
community at large.

And, by the way, more generally, having a nine-month-old release to
offer on the main download site looks quite bad anyway. It's not you,
but something must be wrong in the process.

It used to be on a three month interval, and I'd like to go to a two or
three month interval myself as well. I can try to make that happen once
I know for certain that the current release process works.