We're currently playing with our options as well, trying out ZPest as one of
them.  One of my guys put together a simple database based on Excel and
WordPress.  I'll see if I can get a screen shot to post here of how we intend
it to work and what features we have.  We're also talking about the best way to
store images - pests, pest damage, pest environments, indicators, etc - and
link them back to the database, or simply, have a good place to store and share
easily.

Something that has been under discussion in recent years is the use of KE EMu
for tracking pests.  To me this looks like a great way to track and trend
pests, but it is a few levels up on complexity and, speaking out of ignorance,
looks like it would take more skill and knowledge of KE to setup and maintain.
I am curious about it however and how perhaps in the future a simply Excel
sheet could be translated using KE.

Here is a link to notes and a presentation given by David Smith (Natural
History Museum, UK) a few years ago on Emu's possible use:
http://www.kesoftware.com/user-group-meetings/fourth-north-american-emu-ugm.html

Sometimes keeping things simple is the best path, no matter the size of the
institution.

Hope this is of some help!

Best,
Matt

Matthew A. Mickletz - Supervisor - Preventive Conservation - Winterthur -
302-888-4752