Hopefully Leon can weigh in on this discussion since he developed
the software.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 07:10:35 -0400, Matthew Mickletz
wrote:

> This is a message from the Museumpests List.
> To post to
this list send it as an email to pestlist@museumpests.net
unsubscribe please look at the footer of this email.

> We're
currently playing with our options as well, trying out ZPest as one of
them. One of my guys put together a simple database based on Excel and
WordPress. I'll see if I can get a screen shot to post here of how we
intend it to work and what features we have. We're also talking about
the best way to store images - pests, pest damage, pest environments,
indicators, etc - and link them back to the database, or simply, have a
good place to store and share easily.

> Something that has been
under discussion in recent years is the use of KE EMu for tracking
pests. To me this looks like a great way to track and trend pests, but
it is a few levels up on complexity and, speaking out of ignorance,
looks like it would take more skill and knowledge of KE to setup and
maintain. I am curious about it however and how perhaps in the future a
simply Excel sheet could be translated using KE.

> Here is a link to
notes and a presentation given by David Smith (Natural History Museum,
UK) a few years ago on Emu's possible use:
http://www.kesoftware.com/user-group-meetings/fourth-north-american-emu-ugm.html
[1]

> Sometimes keeping things simple is the best path, no matter
the size of the institution.

> Hope this is of some help!

Best,
> Matt
>
> Matthew A. Mickletz - Supervisor - Preventive
Conservation - Winterthur - 302-888-4752

-------------------------

[mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] ON BEHALF OF Alina Freire-Fierro
> SENT:
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:00 PM
> TO: pestlist@museumpests.net

SUBJECT: Re: [pestlist] FW: Zak's software

> The same happened to
us. We tried to use the program with no success, so now we just use an
Excel spreadsheet.

> Alina.
>
> ~~~
>
> Alina Freire-Fierro
>

> Botany Collection Manager, PH Herbarium
>
> Academy of Natural
Sciences, Philadelphia

> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway

Philadelphia PA19103

freirefie...@ansp.org

> 215-299-1157 (w)
>
> 215-667-7764 (c)
>

> FROM:
> REPLY-TO: "pestlist@museumpests.net [3]"
> DATE: Tue, 2 Aug
2011 11:49:53 -0700
> TO: "pestlist@museumpests.net [5]"
> SUBJECT: RE:
[pestlist] FW: Zak's software

pestlist@museumpests.net [7]
> To unsubscribe please look at the footer
of this email.

> Hi -
>

> Similar case here, we tried using the Zaks database but couldn't do
by location. We just use an excel spreadsheetwhich we've linked to
graphs. It works for us but we're small.

> Lindsey Vogel

Collections Aide
> PuebloGrandeMuseum
> lindsey.vo...@phoenix.gov [8]

602-495-0901

pestlist@museumpests.net [10]

> cc
>
> Subject
>
> RE:
[pestlist] FW: Zak's software

pestlist@museumpests.net [12]
> To unsubscribe please look at the footer
of this email.

> Hi Katy-
>

> I have just begun using the Zaks database and have exported the

information to Excel. It is a clunky process for sure, but it seems to

be the only way to sort the information by location of traps.

Unfortunately, I have no other database to rely on at the moment, but

would be interested to hear what you have discovered regarding other

databases available.

> Kind Regards,
> Mary Nicolett
> Preparator,