Dave Page wrote:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM, David Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > I imagine you can get round the second one by building your software
 > so it supports PostgreSQL as well - that way you don't 'require
 > customes to install MySQL'.

 Well, I'm not sure how they'd even know you were doing this, but as a
 commercial company, I'd suggest you not follow that advice since the
 code would not work without install MySQL.  Yes, they could install PG
 instead, and if they did, MySQL would have no problem.  But if you use
 MySQL, then clearly it's required and a commercial license would be
 required (though perhaps at least you'd put the legal obligation on the
 end customer).

Huh? I'm suggesting that you write your code to be
database-independent such that it is the user's choice what DBMS he
uses. That way you aren't 'requiring them to install MySQL'. MySQL
cannot hold you liable if a customer chooses to use your closed source
Java/JDBC app with their DBMS if you didn't require it.

Yes, that is MySQL's licensing angle. I have spoken numerous times to MySQL staff about it. So what ended up happening for my software development was it became a waste of time to support MySQL and PostgreSQL, I moved to PostgreSQL solely which didn't have any of those restrictions associated with it. Which is how I got into PostgreSQL in the first place. And now I use MySQL when I have to because PostgreSQL does the job for me and I'm used to writing SQL, plpgsql and the like for it.

Russell Smith