On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 13:16:16 +0000,
 Martin Mueller <martinmuel...@northwestern.edu> wrote:
Why not a PostgreSQL-database somewhere in the cloud? Good question, but it's a question
of money and performance. I used MySQL for many years and then moved a dataset to an
instance on AWS. The performance was horribly slow. Then some kind soul at my institution
hooked me up with "Aurora," which I take to be MySQL on steroids. That was
great, and the performance was almost as good as on my desktopc. But it cost hundreds of
dollars per month. I work at home with a machine that has 32 GB of memory. In order to
get comparable performance from a cloud-based Postgres instance, I'd have to spend a lot
of money that I don't have. Dropbox costs $120 a year for a terabyte of storage, which is
very affordable.

You aren't going to be able to use copies of the raw files taken while the database is running, to restore the database. Storing compressed output from pg_dumpall is probably the best way to create backups you can restore from.