Hi Andreas,

Thank you for clarifying your position and for pointing out the lack of a
proper license for WebClient code.

I and other people in the Pharo community made a mistake and we're sorry. We
will be more careful in the future.

But to our defense, as others pointed out, you're communications gave the
impression that this was true open source, compatible with the standard Squeak
one in spirit.

Futhermore, and this to your credit as well, you yourself wrote the
WebClient-Pharo package, giving the impression that you valued that port. It
also proves that you did the actual effort. Thanks you!

And indeed, you did incorporate some changes, so the intention was certainly
there.

Now, I would not say that we already actually forked the code. We just tried to
port it. The process of following your progress proved difficult (you probably
made a diff between your and our latest versions), precisely because of some of
these little things like #asString, #utf8Encoding, #and:and:and:and:, but also
some deeper ones like #pathForFile that kept coming back.

You have every right to refuse to follow the Pharo Smalltalk spirit or style. I
respect that, and the Pharo community as a whole should too.

But your refusal to do so and the lack of a license give us no alternative than
to look for other solutions.

I wasn't there when the discussion that let to the birth of Pharo took place.
But it is clear that the Smalltalk community is too small to not work together.

The Smalltalk-80 inheritance and the enormeous contributions of the Squeak
community over the years should be respected by all. At the same time you
cannot ignore the positive effect that Pharo had since then. For me and many
others, Pharo definitively has its place, along many other viable Smalltalk
implementations.

Regards,

Sven