On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:

El mar, 31-08-2010 a las 00:25 +0200, Levente Uzonyi escribió:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

>>> Why do you have to have your "own" library?
>>
>> Did I say "pharo library"? reread carefully I said an "open-source one".
>
> What I get from Andreas' words is that he's willing to make it open
> source if it won't be forked.
Hm I think this is impossible. If it's OS it's up to whomever get its
hand on it. Or am I mistaken?

Just think about GPL, it's open source, but you can't fork the code if you don't release your changes as GPL too.

"I don't get it. If it  is open source then is forkable. Period.
If it is a special case like GPL, it add some other restriction, like
you can't redistribute the new code without it being also GPL. You can
fork it and not using GPL for the new changes, the restriction is that
you can't redistribute it."

From wikipedia: "Open-source software (OSS) is computer software that is available in source code form for which the source code and certain other rights normally reserved for copyright holders are provided under a software license that permits users to study, change, and improve the software."

There's nothing about forking or redistributing here. I could make a license that says: you can study, change and improve the software, but you can't redistribute it without my permission.

"But the fact remains that it is forkable always. If you don't want it
forkable, then use other non open source license."

See above. You could "fork" it, but that wouldn't be open source anymore.

Levente

Cheers

Levente

Regards
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx