As far as I know Charley is still there.

aph4...@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 11/20/2006 11:44:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
john9...@pacbell.net writes:

One or two of these videos may turn up on ebay - I am in the process of
converting all my VHS tapes to DVD, and am disposing of the VHS copies. I think
also have one of the Dennis Valente tapes that I will be converting also; I
think it has to do with rebuilding Victor Exhibition reproducers, if I
remember right.
I also have a tape that I made of Dave Heitz' collection. I had the
wonderful opportunity of a private showing of his collectin on my thirtieth
birthday.
The tape is rather 'homemeade' but the machines are magnificent. Now that
the collection has been cast to the four winds, I might see if I can make a
quality DVD of that tape. I had promised Dave that the owner of the collection
would remain secret, because he didn't want everyone knowing what he had, and
he didn't want it to be broadcast all around, but now that he is gone and the
collection is dispersed, I would think that it is ok. It was a wonderful
thing to see his collection in his house and barn-museum, and it was very
generous of him to open it to me. My friend Charley, owner of an antique
phonograph
shop called 'The Place' in Bristol, PA (Charley used to answer the phone,
"This is The Place") got me the invitation, and I took a collector friend with
me and Charley met us there. Anyone on the board know Charley
or his store? He was a great guy, and his shop was a haunt for me. He sold
me my first original Cygnet crane for $75 or so, and he gave me machines to
work on as I learned how to do so. Some of my repairs he had to go over and
refine, as I was just learning, but I will never forget him entrusting me with
Homes and Standards to fix. I would love to go back to those times and his
shop, and hang out and talk phonographs with him.
Well, this is longer than I meant it to be - sometimes trips down memory
lane become tangents!
This gives me an idea - I would like to hear from you guys about who was
your first influence in the field of phonograph collecting/repairing. Could be
an interesting thread!
John Robles

Hi John,
Sure, John. I met Charlie Martin a few years ago at "The Place". Steve Ramm
took me there and he really was a good guy. But I didn't know that he
wasn't there any more. Did he pass away? If so, I assume that the shop is gone.
I just remember a great Pathe' Actuelle machine with the cone speaker in his
shop. And there must have been 100,000 acoustic records with no sleeves all
stacked on top of one another so that you couldn't go through them even if
you had an extra lifetime in his shop! Who knows what great stuff he might
have had at home!
So as these little shops close, are there any shops taking their place?
Does anyone know of any "new" shops for phonos or records that have opened in
the U.S. (or in the world)? They are certainly disappearing in the Denver
area.

---Art Heller