My first phono collectible was a 2-minute Edison wax cylinder at an
antique show. I kind of floundered around looking for stuff at
antique shows and antique stores for a while. But my big breakthrough
was when I found a young woman at an antique store in Ohio who sold
me some Edison cylinders. She asked me if I ever heard of Allen
Koenigsberg's "The Antique Phonograph Monthly". That was my
introduction into the collector community.

It was really hard to break into the hobby before the Internet,
because it was kind a chicken and egg situation. Either you were
already in the loop with other collectors, or you were out of luck
because you couldn't find them!

Jim Nichol