'Re-Creation' is a term that Edison's marketing people made up to set their
product as being different from ordinary 'records' in the public mind.  This
was at a time that Edison was staging 'Tone Tests' around the country at larger
Edison dealerships.  An Edison artist would perform at the store alongside a
Diamond Disc Phonograph -- at times concealed by screens from the audience --
and the viewers would have to guess which was live and which was a
'Re-Creation'.  The term 'Re-Creation' was used from June '21 through the end
of '22.  Then they became 'Edison Record'.  There is a black paper
'Re-Creation' label that was used from June '21 until October '21, when the
white labels appeared.

The smaller numbers you inquired about are matrix numbers.

I have heard people say that the checkerboard pattern around the edge is a
stoboscope for setting the speed of the record under 60-cycle illumination, but
this is not true . . . it is merely a design.

Diamond Disc surfaces are a phenolic resin derived from coal tar that is
chemically similar to Bakelite, but which Edison called Condensite.  It cannot
grow 'mold' like a wax cylinder, so I'm not sure what the light brown handprint
may be that you describe.  Perhaps something heinous came in contact with it?
At any rate, Edison recommended cleaning with alcohol. Isopropyl I suppose . .
. what strength is best?

The best term for the reproducer is simply 'reproducer' . . . 'reproducer head'
is redundant, and would imply that there is a also a 'recording head', which
there is not.