ONLY use denatured alcohol on Edison Diamond Discs, and use it ONLY on Edison
Diamond Discs.  Yes, alcohol in any form will indeed eat the top layer off
shellac records, including the thin, lateral-cut Edison "Needle-Cut" discs,
which are virtually identical to most shellac 78's.

The surface of Edison DD's is not shellac, so alcohol is safe.  More
importantly, if any water finds its way between the surface and the cord of an
Edison DD, it will swell and bubble under the surface, and render the disc
almost unplayable.  Alcohol evaporates so quickly, no chance exists of moisture
getting and staying in the core material.

Best of the holidays to all,
Robert