From: "ger" <ge...@comcast.net>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:40:27 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Phono-L] Diamond Discs 15

The Edison Diamond disc records are all 10" with a white paper label. All are
in the 50,000 or 51,000 range, except: 8915, 7826, 5110 and 80398. I don't have
time right now to list them all with titles and artists; 2 have a red star. 2
have "Re-Creation" on the label. What exactly does that mean!?

Two are in very nice condition. Some have a scratch or two in the grooves (like
somebody tried the wrong needle); a few have light scratches across; one is
badly scratched; 2 or 3 look like they have a brown hand print which reminds me
of the mold I've seen on the cylinders. Is that fixable on these, say with
alcohol??

None are splitting. Only 2 or 3 have shallow chips on the edge...none extending
into the grooves. None are warped.

**What are the numbers on the lower part (edge) of the label (like 8696 and
8695) for?
**Also, there are scribed numbers in the plastic. Are they like the cylinders,
showing which "take," or something else??

I took a flying leap ;) and bought the 15 records and the reproducer head too.
I left the messed up rest...the owner seemed happy. I made an offer for these
(well below asking) and she took it. :) I'm guessing that she'll probably junk
the rest...maybe not. If it was not so heavy, I would have taken the whole
machine to muck around with. But I just could not handle it.

Happy, peaceful and safe Holidays to all!
I will be back on Friday or Saturday and hopefully can work up a list then.

Thanks again,
Ger