Hi Andy and all,
>From what you can see on the video, Rub n Buff or similar rub on metallic
>waxes are great for restorations. I have used it to touch up or redo the
>stripes on Edison horns. It subtlely restores the original look. A friend and
>I recently used it on the gold tonearm of his Victrola 18, which had some
>obvious wear on the elbow near the reproducer. After we finished, you couldn't
>tell it was done. Note: Rub n Buff or other metallic waxes look good, but are
>not permanent without using a fixative. I use Krylon Matte finish art fixative
>to topcoat it after I'm through. It is transparent and does not show up after
>it is applied, but makes the metallic finish permanent. You should experiment
>first, before using it on an important piece. Another use for the fixative is
>this: if you have a black horn, which is scratched, etc. it detracts from the
>look and I hate to repaint, because you cannot reproduce the japanned finish.
>I touch up the scratches with a Sharpie marker, then blend the t
 ouchups in with WD40 - I know, everyone hates WD40, but WD40 sprayed on the
black paint restores the original look and blends in the touchups from the
Sharpie. I then wipe off the WD40 with a soft cloth and spray the horn with
fixative. If you have a horn that is in need of repainting, you might try this
procedure, as it has worked well for me. I have restored a Victor R horn, a
Cygnet horn that was really scratched bad and an Edison black flowered horn
that now looks pristine. Just an idea... take it for what it's worth.
Curt