Greg,
There is a product that gunsmiths use to blacken aluminum parts. I have never
used that particular thing, but I am a big fan of SuperBlue cold gun bluing. I
use it on parts that are rusty and need restoration. First take the rusty parts
- brake parts, screws, etc. and clean them with a steel brush wheel (I have a
grinder with one side as a grinding wheel, the other as a steel brush wheel)
then buff them with a buffer. You can make the steel parts almost appear to
have been re-nickled by doing this. However, if you don't want the parts to
stand out, dip a soft cloth in the SuperBlue, rub it on - leave it for a minute
or two and then spray with WD40 or other gun preservation sprays. It is
important to spray the parts after bluing to stop the oxidation from
continuing. You then have a part that appears to be in excellent condition, but
aged.

> From: drgr...@msn.com
> To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:49:34 -0500
> Subject: [Phono-L] Rub n' Buff Metallic Finishes
>

> Has anyone ever used the black (ebony) Rub n' Buff on Columbia reproduction
> aluminum parts? I have used black stove polish after soaking the parts with
> Drano (sodium hydroxide). The Rub n' Buff sounds a lot less labor intensive.
>

> > From: vinyl.visi...@live.com
> > To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
> > Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:50:09 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Cygnet Horn "Ball Holder"
> >

> > Hi Andy and all,
> > >From what you can see on the video, Rub n Buff or similar rub on metallic
> > >waxes are great for restorations. I have used it to touch up or redo the
> > >stripes on Edison horns. It subtlely restores the original look. A friend
> > >and I recently used it on the gold tonearm of his Victrola 18, which had
> > >some obvious wear on the elbow near the reproducer. After we finished, you
> > >couldn't tell it was done. Note: Rub n Buff or other metallic waxes look
> > >good, but are not permanent without using a fixative. I use Krylon Matte
> > >finish art fixative to topcoat it after I'm through. It is transparent and
> > >does not show up after it is applied, but makes the metallic finish
> > >permanent. You should experiment first, before using it on an important
> > >piece. Another use for the fixative is this: if you have a black horn,
> > >which is scratched, etc. it detracts from the look and I hate to repaint,
> > >because you cannot reproduce the japanned finish. I touch up the scratches
> > >with a Sharpie marker, then blend t
 he